12.10.2006

School Pride

Well I really can't believe I'm writing this, and I haven't fully wrapped my brain around it yet, but my high school is state champions in football. Osbourn beat Chantilly yesterday and won the Virginia Group AAA Division 6 title. HELL YEAH!

We used to be so awful in football when I was in high school, that to see the program come so far in just a few years is truly remarkable. It used to be that playing Osbourn on a Friday night under the lights was a guaranteed win for the other team. We had some talent, but we were the laughingstock of the district for so long. Not anymore.

I could write many more paragraphs about this, but I'll just say that Brandon Hogan is absolutely unreal. This kid is special--a lot of athletes just have that "it" factor, and he has it. In his last game as an Eagle, he accounted for all six TDs in the state championship game (three passing, three running). His 391-yard performance was so good that his coach, Steve Schultze, proclaimed: "[Hogan's] the best kid in the nation coming out [of high school], bar-none." I'm not sure he's the best in the entire country, but in my book he's the best in Virginia and WVU is getting one heck of a talent next year.

This team had on it a few kids I used to coach in basketball when they were in elementary school. And my next door neighbor was on the team before graduating last year, plus a lot of coaches were still there when I was a student. Being the city's only high school, it's a once-in-a-generation accomplishment and the players deserve all the credit in the world. I wish we had done this when I was there and covering the team! But better late than never; they made history and made all of us alums proud. Here's the article from the Potomac News/Manassas Journal Messenger. GO EAGLES!

KhalilG is a DC-area blogger who is proud to say he went to Osbourn and will be following Brandon Hogan's career closely.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

propecia online can i buy propecia in mexico - cheap propecia pharmacy

6/04/2013 10:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home