6.27.2006

EUROPE

I just got back from 10 days across the pond and felt if anything was worthy to blog about, this was it. Went to Switzerland, Germany and Austria (doubled the # of countries I've been to in a single trip), highlighted by going to the World Cup. A few words here--and hopefully some pictures later--won't do justice to everything I did and saw.

The trip was very hectic--a lot of traveling and always on the go between cities and countries. I spent tons of $, got very little sleep, and used lots of my vacation time. But you know what? I don't care. I would do it all over again 'cause it was absolutely worth it. Our main stops were Zurich, Switzerland; Munich, Nuremburg, Rothenburg, Germany; and Salzburg, Vienna, Austria. Between meeting people from literally all over the globe and getting to witness the greatest spectacle in all of sports first-hand, it was in a word...awesome.

Although I could have, I decided not to do any work stuff from there so I could just enjoy it. I'm sure my department is glad I didn't expense any of it, although the plan was to bring my laptop, but I'm glad I didn't. I've been to my share of sporting events both for business and for pleasure, but there's nothing like the World Cup. The rest of the world is in love with soccer...it's just too bad the U.S. doesn't get it. It would have been nice if our national team had remembered how to play--watching them lose to Ghana and get sent home was difficult to say the least. But I definitely recommend everyone go to Europe at some point if they haven't--it will open to your mind to how much is really out there and make you question if where you are and what you're doing is right for you. At least it did for me.

KhalilG is a DC-area blogger who has already booked his tickets for the 2010 Cup in South Africa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home