6.12.2006

Decisions, decisions...

I gots lots of big choices to make in the coming days and weeks, not the least of which is the whole grad school conundrum. It's started to become a more serious option and I think I'll definitely go, but I'm just not sure when or where. After doing a little research, I think I've narrowed it down to three schools, listed in order of preference:

1) UNC--My dream school since I was a kid. Has one of the best journalism programs in the country and is extremely selective (rigorous application/interview process). I've always wanted to live in North Carolina and this would put me in a position to do that, obviously. And can you say ACC BASKETBALL?!?! Chapel Hill is the front-runner, assuming they would even let my underachieving, not worthy tail in there.

2) AU--American also has a great program and I'm impressed w/ all their resources being a smaller school. Very well-connected in the DC scene and it would commit me to staying around here for a while longer, which is fine. I feel like I would fit in there the most, and on paper I'd have a much better chance of getting in than at UNC. Has some successful alums from its School of Communications--including David Aldridge, Jim Brady, my boss Kevin Maguire, GUILANA DEPANDI from E!, and others. Probably the most realistic of my options at this point.

3) GW--The dark horse in the race for Khalil's graduate school endeavor. I believe my degree would be in Journalism and Public Affairs if I went there. Another DC school that is well-respected and also in the middle of the hustle and bustle of our nation's capital. I think they're lagging a little behind the other two in regards to reputation, cost, strength of program and opportunities. But maybe I just need to research it a little more. Might be my fall-back in case the others don't work out.

KhalilG is a DC-area blogger who looks forward to having the freedom, vacation breaks and chance to advance his career that grad school hopefully provides.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Khalil - it's Tony - long time no talk man. I've been reading every now and again when I remember to anyways. I just wanted to say go through the process with UNC you'll regret it if you don't. Even though I'm against the Tarholes the Triangle is an incredible and booming place to live. Good luck hoss!

7/12/2006 10:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home